The critical essay competition is open for essays written by any Duke undergraduate enrolled in an English department course. Submissions must be critical nonfiction essays produced for a class (current academic year) in which the student is (was) enrolled. Essays must be submitted by email at the link provided below and must include the title of the essay in the Subject Line of the email.
- Students may submit more than one essay to the competition (up to two essays in total), but the same author may not win multiple places within this contest.
- Essays should conform to the Modern Language Association documentation style; 5,000 word limit (about 20 pages)
- Essays will be judged by the Director of Undergraduate Studies' Advisory Committee.
- Submissions will not be accepted with incomplete information.
- Submissions will not be accepted after the deadline.
- Submissions without titles will not be considered.
Include the following on a cover page:
- your name and year
- the title of the entry (Submissions may not be untitled.)
- the course number and instructor for whom the essay was written,
- the semester and year of the course.
- Attach your manuscript document. The manuscript itself must have its title.