Q: I’m about to register for classes but have an advisement block on my account. Who do I contact for clearance?
A: Contact your assigned English advisor. If your advisor is listed as “Departmental Staff,” contact the department’s Undergraduate Studies Assistant to assign you an in-major advisor.

Q: I want to register for a course that is full. What should I do?
A: Join the waitlist for the course, then contact the professor to obtain an oversubscription permission number. Note that permission numbers are provided at professors’ discretion. You may want to attend the first class to discuss the possibility of adding the course during drop/add.

Q: I am interested in pursuing distinction in the major but am uncertain about the scope of the work required. Who can I contact to discuss distinction projects in English?
A: English Department Ambassadors are available to answer questions about the major, including specifics about distinction projects. You can also view past thesis titles and sample introductions on the Thesis & Distinction page.

Q: I am interested in pursuing distinction in the major but am uncertain whether I should register for one home seminar + one independent study or two independent studies?
A: Most students pursuing distinction register for two independent studies. The home seminar option is only for students producing work directly related to a professor's seminar or lecture in a given semester. 

Q: I am interested in completing an independent study with a professor in the department. How do I start the process?
A: The English Department's Independent Study Form is required to register for an independent study. Independent studies in the English Department follow the IS guidelines in Trinity's Policies and Procedures.

Q: What are English courses at Duke like?  
You can gain insight into English courses at Duke by contacting one of the English Department Ambassadors or by reading some of the profiles that the ambassadors have written about English courses.

Q: Where can I submit my poetry and prose as an undergraduate at Duke?  
The Archive publishes one to two issues a year and organizes readings featuring authors from the Duke community, known as The Archive Literary Festival. The primary focus of the biannual magazine is the publication of student poetry and short fiction. 

Q: Does the English Department have an ongoing reading series?  
Little Corner Reading Series hosts poets and scholars from across the U.S. Visit the Little Corner website for upcoming readings at Duke Coffeehouse.  

Q: What other Duke programs offer credit towards my English degree?  
Duke in New York (DiNY) is a four-course program co-sponsored by the English Department. The program is designed for students who want to explore art, music, theater, fashion, and media, including magazine and book publishing, advertising, film, and television. Visit the DiNY website for info on specific courses and deadlines for fall, spring and summer. 

Q: What kinds of research opportunities are available for English majors?  
The Representing Migration Humanities Lab is a new research lab co-directed by five faculty members in the English Department. Participants in this lab will engage in collaborative research projects on the representation and cultural expression of migration in literature, music, and performance cultures. Students in any major are welcome, and there are opportunities for undergraduates, graduates, and faculty to work together in archival, imaginative, and joint research. Information about other research opportunities in the Digital Humanities and Data+ projects are at the Rhodes Information Initiative at Duke.